- The Firefighters 4 Kids program started in 1977 after a Columbus firefighter, Mike Mullins, had an emergency call to a
home with young children and noticed they had nothing for the children for Christmas.
- Mike began the program working with a handful of other firefighters in the basement of his home.
- In the beginning , the toys that were provided were often used toys or new toys that Columbus firefighters had donated to be delivered to families in need.
- As the needs in the community grew, and as more people got involved, the program was able to expand and begin to assist more children during the holiday season.
- In 2019, the program provided toys to 5,322 families and 18,978 children. This number is a significant increase from previous years and was all managed from donations from our community.
- In 2020, the program was put on hold due to COVID, but still managed to provided toys/products to local agencies to assist children in the community.
- The organization has a very strong volunteer community and relies on it to work the program. At no time has anyone that is a part of the program received a salary, and that continues to be the standard today.
- The program provides toys for children ages 0-12.